For the first post for Top 10 Thursday, inspired by a friend on goodreads, I will be doing my Top Ten Childhood Favourites.
1. The Graveyard Book – Neil Gaiman. This book was read to me by my dad when I was six with my twin. I remember it vividly even still so for that reason here it is.
2. Mr Magnolia – Quentin Blake. I can’t remember when I first read it. This is a children’s picture book. You know the one’s that are like poems? I used to get it read to me so much that my dad still remembers the entire thing off by heart. So I know when he’s getting memory problems. =P
3. Harry Potter – J.K. Rowling. Who hasn’t read this series as a child? I started reading them when I was seven. Well my dad read them to me till I was nine when I got fed up of waiting for each night to have them read, so me and my twin took it in turns to read it too eachother.
4. The Gruffalo – Julia Donaldson. This book, weirdly enough, made me want to be a spy at one point. I think it was probably how well the mouse tricked everyone, including the gruffalo.
5. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory – Roald dahl. Come on now, what child doesn’t want to own a chocolate factory?
6. Charlotte’s Web – E.B White. The name of this author won me a school quiz. It is also an amazing book.
7. The Invention of Hugo Cabaret – Brian Selznick. I watched the movie first before reading the book. It is soo good. i don’t know why it isn’t on one of those lists like ‘ books to read before you turn twelve’ or something. It is a beautiful story.
8. The Tiger Who Came to Tea – Judith Kerr. I’m pretty every child in every school across the country has read this book at some point. If not then where the hell have you been hiding for the last few years of your life?
9. The Faraway Tree – Enid Blyton. I kind of wish I had a ‘faraway tree’ in my back garden. Wouldn’t it be awesome?
10. Malory Towers – Enid Blyton. This book made me want to go to a boarding school. My mum had to talk me out of it a lot!
So that’s it for Top Ten Thursday no.1. If there are any books that you think should have been there then feel free to comment. If you want me to do a top ten on a specific topic then contact me with the subject of ‘Top Ten Thursday’s’